Raen Check's School of Art
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Assignment 2- April 21

3 posters

Go down

Assignment 2- April 21 Empty Assignment 2- April 21

Post  Admin Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:36 am

Let me know if these assignments are going too fast. I figured since everyone seemed to be finished, there was no use just sitting around. Of course, you are welcome to keep working on your previous assignments.

Now, this assignment may be boring, and you've probably done it before, but I want to see how well your observational drawing skills are. Find a vase, bowl, or something relatively simple to draw. Use graphite pencil. If you have different kinds of pencils, try to experiment with the softness or hardness of the lead. A soft pencil will go down darker, but will tend to be more textural, while a hard pencil is much lighter and won't get to the darkness of the softer pencils, but they erase well, and are good for rendering smoother textures. If you don't have this variety of pencils, it's alright. Usually mechanical pencils tend to be softer. If you scribble around with a few pencils, you might be able to notice the difference in hardness or softness.

If you'd rather use a digital imaging program, that's fine. Just try to make it as realistic and representational of the object in front of you as possible.

Pay close attention to your shading technique, and your light source. It would be best to try to find a desk lamp to cast a strong light source onto the object, but if you can't, sunlight from a window might work.

- Don't use a photo of an object.
- Don't use color. Just pay attention to the values.
- Try not to outline. If you need to outline the drawing in the beginning, remember to always go soft in case you need to erase.
- Use the Rule of Thirds and make sure you know your focal point. A link is provided in one of the critiques to our first assignment.

Keep these questions in mind, because when you post your drawing, you'll need to answer them:

1) Why did you choose this object?
2) Where is your focal point?
3) Where is your light source?
4) How much time did you spend drawing?
5) What would you have done differently to the drawing?

Whether or not you've done a thousand still life drawings or none at all, observational drawing is extremely important, and all of us could use the practice.

Here's an example of a still life I did a while ago that's close to what I'm looking for:

Assignment 2- April 21 ObDrawing-bigstilllife

It's pretty rough because it's 24"x18" and all done with thin little pencils, so don't make it look so rough. =P Try to blend the pencil marks. Don't make the pencils marks so visible like they are in my background.

This assignment will be due in roughly a week or so; whenever you get it done and feel satisfied with your drawing.

Admin
Admin

https://rcsa.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Assignment 2- April 21 Empty Question

Post  Inkmoon Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:28 pm

Admin wrote:Let me know if these assignments are going too fast. I figured since everyone seemed to be finished, there was no use just sitting around. Of course, you are welcome to keep working on your previous assignments.

Now, this assignment may be boring, and you've probably done it before, but I want to see how well your observational drawing skills are. Find a vase, bowl, or something relatively simple to draw. Use graphite pencil. If you have different kinds of pencils, try to experiment with the softness or hardness of the lead. A soft pencil will go down darker, but will tend to be more textural, while a hard pencil is much lighter and won't get to the darkness of the softer pencils, but they erase well, and are good for rendering smoother textures. If you don't have this variety of pencils, it's alright. Usually mechanical pencils tend to be softer. If you scribble around with a few pencils, you might be able to notice the difference in hardness or softness.

If you'd rather use a digital imaging program, that's fine. Just try to make it as realistic and representational of the object in front of you as possible.

Pay close attention to your shading technique, and your light source. It would be best to try to find a desk lamp to cast a strong light source onto the object, but if you can't, sunlight from a window might work.

- Don't use a photo of an object.
- Don't use color. Just pay attention to the values.
- Try not to outline. If you need to outline the drawing in the beginning, remember to always go soft in case you need to erase.
- Use the Rule of Thirds and make sure you know your focal point. A link is provided in one of the critiques to our first assignment.

Keep these questions in mind, because when you post your drawing, you'll need to answer them:

1) Why did you choose this object?
2) Where is your focal point?
3) Where is your light source?
4) How much time did you spend drawing?
5) What would you have done differently to the drawing?

Whether or not you've done a thousand still life drawings or none at all, observational drawing is extremely important, and all of us could use the practice.

Here's an example of a still life I did a while ago that's close to what I'm looking for:

Assignment 2- April 21 ObDrawing-bigstilllife

It's pretty rough because it's 24"x18" and all done with thin little pencils, so don't make it look so rough. =P Try to blend the pencil marks. Don't make the pencils marks so visible like they are in my background.

This assignment will be due in roughly a week or so; whenever you get it done and feel satisfied with your drawing.
Um yeah so I have two questions...
1. Till when does the drawing ahve to be finished???
and 2. Where can I get graphite pencils??? Its hard to get something in switzerland XP plus I can't find it in the dictionary... Embarassed

Inkmoon

Back to top Go down

Assignment 2- April 21 Empty Re: Assignment 2- April 21

Post  Admin Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:31 pm

It's due about a week from when I posted this topic. And graphite pencils are just the normal pencils you use to write with. (Just use a pencil. =P ) And just know that there are different kinds of pencils for different purposes, not just a standard pencil.

Admin
Admin

https://rcsa.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Inkmoon Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:48 am

Admin wrote:It's due about a week from when I posted this topic. And graphite pencils are just the normal pencils you use to write with. (Just use a pencil. =P ) And just know that there are different kinds of pencils for different purposes, not just a standard pencil.
Ok thanks!!!

Inkmoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Inkmoon Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:13 am

Assignment 2- April 21 Snapsh17
Um here is a little pot my mom bought from India, I just thought it was cute and desided to pick it.
The distance between me and the object that I drew was around fifteen centimeters. The light source was the Lamp hanging from the ceiling. I spent around 45 minutes drawing. Next time I would like to use a stronger light so that I can see the shades better plus I would take more time to draw it carefully...
Sorry that the cushion is visible...
Soooo is it OK??? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Inkmoon

Back to top Go down

Post  JinxedTarotCard Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:43 pm

Sorry, but my assignment is going to be late. I've been busy with end of school projects and haven't been feeling well. DX I'll have it done next week, though. Sorry again!

JinxedTarotCard

http://jinxedtarotcard.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down